[Dailydrool] Green beans are working, and "the butt scoot"

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Mon May 12 20:55:28 PDT 2008

I took Joey in for his Rabbis, et all vaccines tonight (why did they put one
up his nose?) and, the vet commented that he was looking pretty good. She
wanted me to have him loose weight; in the about 5-6 mos. that I've been
going to her, he went from 78 lbs. to 81 lbs. (which was while on the diet,
and when he had a waist again; I believe her scale was off), and today he's
down to 72 lbs!! So, the green beans have been working! He's almost the
svelte houndy he was last fall, and I have no doubt that as we're walking
more, and the weather is getting nicer, that he'll get down to the 67-68
that the vet wants. I was happy that he did so well! Though, he apparently
still has the fiber and anal gland issues, which brings me to the butt
scooting.

I know that dogs do the "butt scoot" when they're trying to express their
anal glands, and I've been trying to feed Joey some pumpkin w/his green
beans, in order to help with this, but the other pups have been sniffing at
his rear for the last few weeks, so I figured it was worth having the vet
check it quick. They were right, it was needed, big time! But, right after I
got Joey home (who was NOT at all happy about the anal gland expressing, let
me tell you; he woofed the vet tech good!), he started doing the butt
scoots! We're talking like 4 times in an hr. Is that normal? I thought they
scooted to express the anals, and he'd literally just had them done... Could
the scooting be in response to his being uncomfortable? Figured you droolers
would know about that!

We're sending drool to those who need it! (And there's pleanty! Joey royally
slimed a few of the techs at the vet's today!)
-Karrie, momma to Joey, aunty to Checkers & Crispin (who's having no ill
effects from the gum)