[Dailydrool] Blunders in Souther Living

Esther Strom esthermstrom at yahoo.com
Tue May 13 10:26:05 PDT 2008

Zoe,

My parents and sister all live in SW Florida. I remember when they first moved, they would freak out about the palmettos. They pretty much just ignore them now - there's really no way to get rid of them. Even if you were willing to use pesticides, you'd need to respray pretty much every day. I say make friends with the bugs! Also, the geckos are cute, but harmless. The ones I've seen while visiting would probably run from a palmetto, not kill it.

I don't know about cats, but my sister's Jack Russell has eaten a number of palmettos. My sister's favorite story to tell is that one day, while walking the Terror, she was picking up a "deposit" and noticed it was moving. Apparently one of the palmettos had actually survived its trip through the canine digestive tract! Well, you know what they say about cockroaches being the only thing left after a nuclear war...

Esther Strom
Visit my Etsy shop: http://HookedByEsther.etsy.com