[Dailydrool] Oh my doG

sally king sally.king at nqe.com
Thu May 15 04:07:29 PDT 2008

In stiff-upper-lip England, what could possibly be considered more inappropriate than taking off all your clothes in Church and declaring a passion for the devil?
Taking your dog into a shop. Particularly a food shop.

So, early this morning, I decide rather than taking Rolph and Clara to the seafront, or the cemetary, I'd take them round some residential streets. Just for a change.
At the end of one of them is a shopping street, which is a fairly main road, with several other roads crossing it and a big main road at the top.
It is at this point that Rolph suddenly sprints off as though he's seen a cat. I tense my arm waiting for the lead to jerk - and SNAP! His leash breaks. Suddenly Rolph is running up the busy road, heading towards the main road, off lead.
Within a split second, Clara and I are running up same street, with me screaming "Rolph! Rolph!", which, let's face it, sounds pretty much like a human trying to bark.
Rolph has the wind under his tail. He's not stopping. People making their way to work and families on their way to school are sort-of scattering as this woolly mamoth and screaming woman come charging up the street.
Then he stops. He looks at me. I think "he's waiting". And he dives straight through the door of the supermarket.
I get there just in time to see the naughty tail charging up the bread aisle.
What do I do? I can't take a second dog into the shop (he's at the dairy produce now). There are several very surprised-looking Tesco employees standing looking at this annomoly (vegatables and heading to the soap powder).
Do they help? Do they offer to hold Clara so I can grab him? No, this is Britain. Everyone just pretends it isn't happening - except Rolph, who, by this time, is having a high old time among the magazines and confectionary.
I am standing in the doorway yelling his name, but what dog is going to come back when faced with a shelf of doggie treats?
I throw caution to the wind. Clara and I enter the shop and chgarge up and down the aisles, still yelling, following a boyant explorer as he discovers previously unknown territories (canned fruit anyone?).
Eventually, he decides the game's up. He comes to me reluctantly, but obediantly.
We leave the shop.
And all the people we leave inside are still all standing stock still, with that very British "gosh, did I really see that?" look on their faces.

Sally, slave to the great adventurer Rolph and good girl Clara

This email has been scanned for viruses and other threats
using Newsquest's Ironport email filters

This e-mail, including any attachment, is private and
confidential.
It should not be read, copied, disclosed or otherwise used by
any person other than the intended recipient(s).
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately.
Newsquest reserves the right to monitor e-mails in
accordance with the Telecommunications (Lawful Business
Practice)
(Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.

Newsquest Limited.
Registered in England, number 3105111 .  Registered office:
58 Church Street, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 8DP