[Dailydrool] Basset boy is hoarse

Lynn Kalber kalbl at bellsouth.net
Fri May 16 04:45:08 PDT 2008

Hello, all droolers... you've helped me in the past with my
questions, and you help me all the time as I lurk and read your great
advice and wonderful stories.
I have another question for you - my basset, Louie, who is 6, has
gone hoarse in the past 2 weeks. He's got a wonderful hound bay and
voice, and now when he barks, the first part sounds almost OK, the
second is definitely not there and he gets a surprised look on his
face. It sounds as if his throat hurts.

I checked with my vet and she told me to look in his mouth for
anything different. His tonsils seemed to be a bit pink and swollen
(I checked my other dogs mouths to see what theirs looked like for
comparison - everyone thought it was great fun) and she put him on
Baytril for 10 days. But that drug is gone now and he's still hoarse.

He does have severe skin allergies and gets shots every 10 days. He's
also on Atopica for his allergies.

Has anyone seen this before and does anyone have any ideas? Thanks
for anything you can toss my way! - Lynn, human slave to Louie, Mabel
and Cooper