[Dailydrool] Warts and Skin Tags

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Mon May 19 19:28:45 PDT 2008

I have had a recent experience with warts.  Grady, age 9, suddenly (within a
week) developed a really ugly growth on his gum above his upper canine.
Upon closer inspection, I discovered he had several other "bumps" developing
under the skin on his gums.  So, off to the vet we went.  Two days later,
surgery and a dental with the ugly growth and one of the other smaller
"under the skin" bumps off to pathology.  Guess what they came back as -
WARTS!  Fine - I was relieved - BUT the other dogs may get them.  But don't
worry, they will spontaneously remit if they do get them.

  A week later, we suddenly have a cluster of warts under Grady's chin.
Back to the vet's to have them checked out.  Yep, warts.  BUT - don't worry,
they will spontaneously remit in two weeks or so.  Well, it is two weeks
later and they are still there.  Warts are caused by the canine papiloma
virus.  Fortunately, I have been able to keep Grady from scratching them
(too much) and none of the other dogs have them.  I am very tempted to have
them removed because they are in such a bad place but I am afraid it may
"release the monster" some more, in some other place.  Especially since he
didn't have any warts anywhere else on his body before the ones in his mouth
were removed (not that there was a choice about having that done).

Regarding skin tags, most of my dogs have gotten skin tags as they reach the
"senior" status (but so have I!).  Unless they are in a really bad place
(like the eyelid) or in a place where they are constantly irritated, I leave
them alone.  I have had to have a few removed from a couple of dogs due to
location, but it was not a big deal at all.  Some did not even require a
local - just tied it off and snipped it.  The dogs didn't even flinch.

Sandi Wittenberg - Red Bay Bassets

sandi at redbaybassets.com