[Dailydrool] training Hounds

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Tue May 20 18:14:42 PDT 2008

Here is what I have experienced over the years:
Most trainers do not train hounds. They train the biddable breeds-- Goldens,
Labs, German Shepherds, Rotties, Dobes, Border Collies, Terriers, Goldens,
Labs, Goldens and Labs.

If I used the loose leash technique you are using on my Belgian, he would
rapidly learn that forging meant he had to come back and sit, and he would
stop forging.
If  I did this with, let's say, Nigel, he would learn that pulling on the
leash meant he had to come back,plop down and get a treat, and the the
harder he pulls, the more treats he gets.LOL.

Find a trainer who has trained Hounds. Or at least one you feel comfortable
with. Why pay money to someone you don't trust with your dog? Listen to your
own instincts. You know your dog and you know that he is a large breed,
going through an extensive puppyhood and he needs puppy training.When he
starts to pull, turn in the opposite direction INSTANTLY and say "Whoops
let's go ths way!" and stuff a treat in his mouth when he catches up, but do
not stop to do it. When he gallops ahead, turn around and repeat. Be
patient, be kind, be friendly. Wow, how did it happen you went the wrong
way? Weren'tyou watching? He will learn to keep an eye on you because people
are weird and you just never know what the heck direction they're going
next!!  DOn't jerk: call him around-- turn, talk, call, reward. See if it
helps. It may not but it might. I prefer it to the other method which is
also a good one, but not for hounds.

One last thing: Training hounds takes at least twice as much time and
fourteen times the amount of patience as training other breeds, in my
opinion. UNLESS you are training for tracking, and then you are ahead of
everyone else.

MomPerson to Nigel ("Sit? Whassat?") Llewis (I know "get in yur crate"!)
Mitchell (yawwwwn) Zelda (oh not this again.) and Cooper (whaddya want me to
do? sit?heel? write a book?)