[Dailydrool] Cleaning Dog Feet

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Wed May 21 07:18:40 PDT 2008

"when he came in, his front 2 paws were almost black.
somehow he just got them muddy. so i quickly closed the sunroom door so i could
clean him up. he would somewhat patiently let me wipe his feet off. when i
realized i needed a soapy wet rag instead of a dry towel."

We walk the dogs in a canyon area every day, rain, snow, or shine. I have found the best
way to clean dog feet is to buy a low sided heavy duty storage box (I have a gray liner, like bus boys
use). Fill it with an inch or so of  water.  I put mine on the edge of a beach towel. I can get my dogs to step in the "tub" and then out on the towel, where you can dry their feet off. You don't need all four feet in at once, you can do one or two at a time. I used to spray their feet with the garden hose but that was
difficult in good weather and doesn't work for winter. I have a hook on the porch for their leashes, so I can leave them outside while I go get the tub. If I know I am in for a muddy walk, I sometimes set it up in my garage or porch before we go. It gets their feet a lot cleaner than a wet towel and washes the sand out of their pads. This also works when Chester steps in someone's poop, which he tends to do with surprising regularity.
--
Marilyn Briggs