[Dailydrool] The World According to Norm - My Opie

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Wed May 21 20:08:24 PDT 2008

It's me again - Norm!

Ya' know, the other day I told you about my new crate tag that has my name,
NORM, on it.  And Dad put a tag on another crate that says OPIE.  So, I have
been thinking and wondering and even DREAMING about what an OPIE is.  The
Waterway Gang even told me to be afraid, very afraid.  Last night I had this
nightmare that an OPIE is one of those really big kitties that eat basset
hounds for a midnight snack.  My dream was SO SCARY that I even woke up
howling!  Mom was not happy - she had to get up in the dark of the night at
3:37 nick o'clock and come see what my problem was.  Now, talk about a
nightmare - Mom at 3:37 nick o'clock in the dark of night is really scary
(especially when she just went to bed at 2:30 - don't even ask!).  She made
that OPIE monster cat in my dream look like a newborn kitten.

So, all day today I was thinking and wondering and afraid to take a nap.
Then, I heard Mom on the talking machine telling Granny Pat to bring OPIE to
my house and she would get the steaks out.  OH NO - now I was really afraid!
Mom had to get two HUGE steaks out of the big white winter machine to feed
the OPIE raw meat!  I thought - I better call Aunt Melissa at Basset 911 and
tell her that I needed to be rescued.  But Mom put that telephoney thing way
up high and I couldn't reach it - my jumpers are working real well yet (Mom
says I am a lead butt!).  I was worried!

Dad told me it was time for dinner, so I went to my crate for what I was
positive was going to be my "last supper".  I was so worried that I almost
couldn't eat - but I forced myself to eat anyway.  I thought I might need my
strength to defend myself.  Then Granny Pat came and Mom told me that I had
to go outside because OPIE was waiting for me.  I didn't want to go out but
I didn't want the other boyz to think I was a wimp, so I sucked it up and
went out!

Then - much to my surprise and relief -  I found out what a real OPIE is -
OPIE is my new brother!  He is four months old and I LOVE him.  We played
outside for a long time and now it is time to get some zzzzzzzzz's!  I'm
pooped!    I have attached some pictures - don't you think he's cute?

Drools to ya!

Norm (and the rest of the Red Bay Gang)

Grady, Hoagie, Johnny, and Opie

Sandi Wittenberg, Mom to the Red Bay Basset Boys