[Dailydrool] Chemo & Mast Cell Tumors

Karen Dimsey kmc812 at yahoo.com
Thu May 22 11:31:42 PDT 2008

Hi Everyone,

  I've been a very long time subscriber to the Drool but haven't posted very much in a very long time.  I was hoping to get some information from anyone who has dealt with Mast Cell Tumors (stage 3) or regarding your experiences with having your basset go through Chemo.

  We are now being faced with that option for our Mandy who has been diagnosed with Round Cell (Mast) Tumor.   The tumor was in the skin of her neck and so far, the rest of her body is clear, no signs of cancer anywhere.  The whole tumor and surrounding sites were removed this week.   It is listed as a stage 3, Mast Cell Tumor at the moment, pending some other tests on what they just took out.  The oncologist is talking about giving her chemo to try and prevent it from spreading or growing back.

  If you could provide me with your experiences with giving your dogs chemo (or with Mast Cell Tumors) and if it helped at all or if you'd go that path again, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Did your dog get ill from the chemo as humans do?  Did it diminish their quality of life? Would you opt for that option again if you had to?  Anything you can offer is greatly appreciated.   Mandy is about 10 years old and just a love.   She is not showing any signs of being ill right now, which as you all know, makes it even harder.  When my Miss Ashley got cancer it was a growing tumor on her adrenal gland and was invading into a main artery of her body so there were no options at all for her.

  Thanks so much!  Please email me at kmd121204 at yahoo.com  with any experiences you can share for us.

  Thanks,
Karen, Mike, Mandy, Melvin (Boardwaddle GM 2004) and Marley