[Dailydrool] Beware of squeezing

wendt greenberg labagel2000 at yahoo.com
Thu May 22 20:35:21 PDT 2008

Daisy and I just returned from a visit to our esteemed vet Dr. Martha Hachett DVM of
  West Valley Animal Hospital, Fogelsville, PA.  According to Dr. Hachett (and her
  assistant Dr. Rachel Parks DVM concurs) random squeezing of bumps or cysts is
  a bad idea.  It seems what you see above the skin might be just the tip of the iceberg
  of what is beneath the skin.  So, if you squeeze you might rupture what is inside
  therefore causing internal bleeding.  A person some weeks earlier claimed that
  bassett cysts were mainly caused by stuffed up hair folicles and that every day she
  searches for lumps and squeezes and as a result has had no major bumps in the dog.
  According to my vets, with sebaceous cysts, from the oil glands, random squeezing
  can also lead to infection.  Right now Daisy is on antibiotics because she has such
  an infection.  There is no doubt that bassetts are lumpy animals, but random popping
  of these things can lead to problems.