[Dailydrool] Learning more about Rupert

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Fri May 23 15:42:27 PDT 2008

So I've learned a bit more about our new basset man, Rupert. He was a stray,
picked up by or taken in to the pound. Metropawlitan Dog, a local
doggy-daycare pulled him and kept him in their facility since sometime in
March. They told me he has pano which I know I've read about here on the
drool, just never paid too close attention since it didn't affect Cowboy.
Guess I'll start pouring through the archives on that one as I know its been
touched on numerous times.

He is also an avid-chewer. They estimated him to be around 2-3 y/o, and his
teeth are in dire need of a good cleaning. They said he chewed through their
phone cords so I've been trying to be very careful with electrical cords,
etc. Any ideas for keeping those covered and away from him? I've noticed he
will pretty much chew anything. I take off my shoes, he chews the heels. He
sees a cardboard box and chews on the edge. End of a hammer, wicker baskets,
tags on clothing, pretty much anything. The good thing is that when I catch
him and redirect him to a doggy toy or bone, he has no problem adjusting to
chew on that item instead. The boy just loves to chew.

Anyway they suggested adding a sea kelp supplement to his food to help curb
some of the chewing. I've never heard of that for chewing and couldnt find
any reference in the archives about it (relating to chewing).....does anyone
know anything about this? We are also investing in a crate for him this
weekend as they said he does well in a crate and I think it'd be good for
him to have a hide-out in case Cowboy starts his humping rampage again. I'm
also going to try some of the sprays that have been recommended for chewing
to see if that can help save some of our stuff.

Thanks a ton for all the advice....we really appreciate it and are looking
forward to a life with 2 hounds!!!
Kacy