[Dailydrool] Blue Power Ear Cleaner Recipe

Kay, Nancy K *HS NKK3U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Mon May 26 09:50:15 PDT 2008

Ann, here's the recipe:

16 Oz. Isopropyl Alcohol (60 percent)
4 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 Drops Gentian Violet Solution 1%
Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well.

We found the Boric Acid Powder at Rite-Aid, for $3.99.  It was near the alcohol and stuff.  They didn't have 60% isopropyl alcohol or the gentian violet, so off we went to CVS.  They had the Gentian Violet - had to ask a pharmacist because they keep it behind the counter.  It was $1.57.  The alcohol came in 70%, not 60%, and we bought it anyway, and it cost about $2 as I remember.  So for less than eight bucks, I made up a batch of ear cleaner.

I poured the alcohol into the squeeze bottle we're using to squirt with.  Then I tried to figure out how to get 16 drops out of the Gentian Violet bottle...it has a weird little plastic thing that wouldn't "drop" anything.  That stuff reminds me of the purple you get on your hands if you pick up some wet produce that has one of those price stickers on it in a mom-and-pop grocery store.  It does stain, but it came off my hands with some scrubbing.

Nancy, owned by Sweet Sarah and Frank the Tank
Keswick, VA