[Dailydrool] Bassets are Dumb

Linda H dirtherm2 at hotmail.com
Mon May 26 12:51:43 PDT 2008

Yeah, right! Here's an incident that beautifully illustrates just how dumb bassets are.

Chance, Merlin's young boxer friend, came over to visit. I gave Chance a lamb ear rawhide. He ran outside and gleefully ran around the back yard with it, trying to get Merlin to play Keep-Away with him. Uh-uh. Merlin prefers to use brains over brawn when dealing with his young, energetic, friends. Chance lay down and started to gnaw. Merlin strolled over, and lay down by Chance's face, rolling over cutely into Chance's face, exposing his underside. This technique always worked with Shadow, who would get up to sniff the proffered underside, Merlin would jump up and steal the chewie. Shadow always fell for this. Chance did not.

Ok, time for Plan B.

Merlin walked a short distance away from Chance, and took a BIG whizz. Now, Chance can never resist over-peeing any spot Merlin marks. He jumped right up and went over to pee in that spot, leaving the chewie behind. Merlin grabbed it. Score one for Merlin, zero for Chance. Merlin ate the chewie.

Yep, bassets sure are dumb. Whenever I hear someone say this about a basset, I strongly suspect that the dog is much smarter than the human!

Linda and Merlin