[Dailydrool] My sweet TicTac

Lainee Francis lainee09 at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 18:42:42 PDT 2008

My sweet Velcro dog, TicTac, lost her fight with Lung Cancer on Friday.  She actually was doing far better than her Vet ever thought she would, outliving all expectations Dr. Lisa gave her.   On Monday everything was wonderful.  Her breathing & heart rate were great.  I would e-mail Dr. Lisa with updates through the week indicating that TT would sometimes bring up a white foamy substance after eating or drinking--on Friday, the Vet thought it would be good to have TT get an x-ray to see how the disease was progressing especially going into a long weekend.  When Dr. Lisa checked, again her lungs were clear and heart rate good.

When the doctor checked the x-rays, it was clear why TicTac was having trouble after eating and drinking.   The tumor had spread to her trachea.  Dr. Lisa didn't know how long my TT would have and suggested I take her home and call her in the morning with an update.  While at the Vet's, they gave TicTac water which she drank.  After we arrived home, I put her out for a potty break--within a 10 minute span my poor baby threw up 6 times unable to keep the water down.  It was apparent that she could no longer hold down any food or water.  I couldn't let her go through this -- I promised her I would not let her suffer -- and I kept my promise.

I called Dr. Lisa and told her it was time -- she wanted to know what happened and after I explained she said bring her in when I was ready.  She would wait for me.  That last drive to the Vet's is always the worst.  When we arrived, one of the techs gave TT a bowl of water which she completely finished only to throw it all up within a couple of minutes.  This assured me that I made the right decision.  If I selfishly kept her with me for the weekend, she would have become dehydrated and suffer needlessly.   Dr. Lisa and the staff were wonderful, and I did the last loving thing I could do for my TicTac and sent her on her journey to the Rainbow Bridge.   TicTac was a Tri-color and Dr. Lisa shaved each color of fur and placed it in a plastic bag for me.  It may sound strange, but it really does bring me some comfort having it near me.

The house is so empty -- the loneliness is overwhelming -- the silence deafening.  Oh God, how I miss that little girl.  I keep going to the sliding glass door to let her in.  I look at the clock and think it's time to make her breakfast or lunch or dinner.  When I'm out I think I better go home to let my baby out for a potty break.   I see her every where I look but she really isn't there.  She was my heart dog, my soul mate, my best friend, and life will never be the same!!

Attached is a photo of my sweet baby.  In a few days I will write again telling everyone about my life with my Velcro girl, TicTac "Toe" Francis.  And for 11 1/2 years, what a great life it was!!

 Lainee & TicTac (ATB), the Queen "B"
"B" for Basset, of course!
And "Patches" & "Pockets" ATB