[Dailydrool] Sore Ear (kinda long)

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Tue May 27 13:04:39 PDT 2008

Hewo eberbody, dis be Joey here. I nose I haben't witten in awhile, but we
bes wiffout internet since last week, an da momma been keepin mes busy...

Anyrooo, we's wanna say fanks for da drool da was sent to my wittle runt ob
a uncle Checkers, he got da medicine what kill dat nasty tapewormy, and we's
hopin it all be outta him now! Also, we wanna send droolies to dose what
needs it, specially wiff all da bridge crossing wecently!!

Awso, hab I gots a story for alla yous!! I gots attacked by a chair
yesterday!! Sewiously! I always sits inna chair, momma an gwanma dunno how I
learned to do dis, but for da whole times I been here, I hoppy up an sits
inna chair. (Gwanma eben gib mememe my own chair! It gots my name onnit an
eberyfing!!) Anyroo, it be nice outside yesterday, an da gwanmaswave be
outside runnin da grill (we be waitin waitin waitin for a snack fwom it, but
nuffing eber falls fwom it.) Anyrooo, well I bes a waitin for a snacky ta
falls, I be sittin in da chairs, next fing I nose, my earflap be a hurtin,
so I let out a whinney. I don't whinney for nuffin da momma says, so da
gwanpawrent swaves noses sumefing be wrong... Well, da gwanma come a runnin
(I be inna middle ob da yard, she bes onna patio yet, but it not dat far),
and she bes wookin at my paws. Well, she wooks me ober good, an she sees da
earflap stuck onna chair!! It hab a "diamond holes" onna back ob it. Well,
as soon as she sees me earflap be stuck, she goes to twy an get it unstuck,
I turn my head to see what she doin, an *WHAM* a small piece ob da earflap
be left onna chair!! I's bweedin an me ear flaps be a hurtin!! Well, da
gwanma swave gets me patched up good, an da gwandpa swave he be a watchin me
wiff da big eyes, an he said I no too bad. I stops bweedin, an I gets wots
ob tweets!! When da momma get home, she puts more ob dis stingy stuffs on my
earfwaps, an it hurt! She also putted somefin on called a "band aid." Why a
band help mememe, I dunno, but she say it keep it cleen. I wokin pathetic an
sore, so I gets extwa lubbins an tweets taday, but I want my earfwap back in
one piece! I fink I may need to re-fink dis sittin inna chair fing...

Okay Joey, let me explain what happened... Apparently yesterday afternoon
well I was at the movies (for the first time since New Years! The one time I
leave the house, and my hound pulls another impossible maneuver!!), Joey
managed to get his ear stuck on one of the diamond holes in our patio
chairs. It was a plastic chair, and we don't know how he learned to sit in
them, or why he sits in them, but since a few days after we got him, any
unoccupied patio chair will inevitably wind up with a Joey hound in it...
Anyway, mom was grilling on the patio (not far at all from where Joey was),
and next thing she knew he was whining. He NEVER whines!! So, she knew
something was wrong. She said he looked like he was worried, so she started
looking him over, paws, head, etc. When she checked his head, she noticed
the bottom tip of his ear was on the diamond of the chair. Somehow, between
her trying to calm him down, and dislodge his ear (the diamonds are more
than big enough for his whole ear to go through, so we can't figure out how
he got the tip stuck...), and him wiggling his head around, his ear came
free, and a little bit of the skin got scraped off! (Think like a skinned
knee.) Mom feels bad, he was literally within about 15 ft. of her when it
happened, and I feel bad I wasn't there to patch him up. (The one time I try
and go to the movies, and this happens!!) But, the bleeding stopped quickly,
and it's been cleaned out well, and I put a band aide over it, and when I
get home I'm going to resterilize it (peroxide and neosporin) and put a band
aid on it again. The vet said if it looks like it's not healing in a day or
2, she needs to look at it. In the mean time, we're keeping it clean and
dry, and Joey's getting extra treats, on account of how pathetic he looks
with a bandaide on his ear flap. He doesn't seem to be in pain, he's not
scratching or favoring it, it's still weeping a bit, but no discharge, puss,
or otherwise nasty looking stuff is coming out of it. Hopefully
it'll continue to heal well, it looks like it's starting to close up
already! I just can't believe how that happened, it was so random! I s'posse
these houndies are the masters of doing the impossible!

The boys are drooling even more from the extra treats, and they're flinging
it to those that need it. We're sorry to hear of all the recent bridge
departures, and all the sick houndies!!
-Karrie, momma to Joey with the sore ear, Checkers (who's wormy free!) and
Crispin (wb)