[Dailydrool] Mandy Update

Karen Dimsey kmc812 at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 13:14:23 PDT 2008

Hi Everyone,

  I wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who wrote me and said prayers and slung drool for our Mandy to get well soon!  It has been a very scary and bumpy ride and it's not over yet, but I wanted to give you an update.

    After we arrived at the Vet on Sunday they took her right back and we waited a really long time before someone came out to speak with us.   They weren't sure why she was bleeding, but said it was not an internal bleed, but could have been a tiny blood vessel.  They kept her to monitor her and try to stop the bleeding.  Her blood count was good though.

  Yesterday we got a call that they wanted us to come and get her around 3:00pm.  The vet said that they thought it was just serum, not a blood vessel and they got it to slow down alot, gave her benadryl which brought the swelling down a great deal.  Great...or so we thought!   We had her home for 4 hours when the bleeding started again.

  We had to bring her back late last night because it was bleeding again and we really couldn't get it to stop at all.  Not like the day before, but it was still bleeding and after 2 hours of holding a compress on it, we still couldn't get it to stop, so we took her down late last night.  They kept her, although I'm not convinced they wanted to.  We didn't get home until 2 am .  They really couldn't give us a lot of answers, just kept saying that she was bleeding from the pocket left by the tumor filling up and then having to ooze out, just fluid... The said the red blood cell count from what is coming out is low even though it's red, so that is a good thing they tell me because it means it's not from a vein or capillary etc... I don't know, none of this makes any sense to me.    They keep saying that because she has so much skin and tissue there, it's just seeping.  If I hear one more time about how much skin she has I'm going to loose it!  I know she has a lot of skin,
 she's a basset, fix the damn problem!!  No sleep is making me a bit punchy! LOL

  Just got off the phone with the surgeon and he said that she's doing really well that she isn't anemic and there is still a discharge and he feels that there is very little risk of any serious consequences.  He said that it is an inflamatory tumor type and there is residual areas in the body that fills in with fluid that looks like blood but is a serum and is fairly common after surgery like this.  He said that the sutures are together and he doesn't want to do another surgery, doesn't feel a need and also said it's really not an option.   Basically the bottom line is we have to wait for it to stop and it should not compromise her ability to breath at all.  It's still dripping and oozing today so he wants to keep her overnight again and reevaluate in the morning.   I still don't understand all of this, but at least it sounds like its good news!

  The oncologist isn't in until tomorrow, so I have to talk with her tomorrow as well on next steps/options.  Thank you so much for all the drool and prayers, please keep them coming!

  We are also very sorry to hear that Tic Tac and Hugo went to the bridge.  May the menories you have bring you comfort!

  Cakie...Yes, mom has been slacking socially, but she promises to try and get better at that!  Life lately has just slapped us in the face!

  Hugs,
  Karen, Mike & Mandy
  (Melvin & Marley too, who are lost without their leader!)