[Dailydrool] Sunburnt with spotty paws

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Fri May 30 13:22:48 PDT 2008

As we've gotten to know Rupert better I have come up with a couple more
questions for all you wise basset slaves out there.

1st, Ru was outside most of yesterday and came in with a slightly sunburnt
belly. He is red-n-white so he has pretty fair skin and much less fur on his
belly than CB, is it ok to put sunscreen on him? Do they make a
doggie-sunscreen that is safer? Is there anything I can do if he shows signs
of discomfort? (He hasn't yet but just for future notice)

2nd, His paws(pads) are "spotty". They are mostly black and rough like Cb's
pads but they also have pink smoother spots, mainly on his front paws. This
may be stupid but I've never owned a fair-skinned hound so I'm not sure, is
this normal? My thoughts were maybe he burned them as a stray because it is
odd how its his front paws but not his back. The other reason I wondered
this (and this may be way out there) but I was thinking maybe he became a
stray following the wild fires we had in October thru-out Southern Calif. If
thats the case it could be possible his paws were burned in the disaster. Or
maybe thats just how fair skinned dogs' pads are but I thought they were
almost always black so.....please, enlighten me.

Thanks,
Kacy