[Dailydrool] Vet Bill???

Annie Novakovich anninova at hotmail.com
Fri May 30 14:16:04 PDT 2008

I just took Daisy to the vets because she was really lethargic for a day.  She didn't want to eat any treats and she went off into a corner by herself.  She has a heart murmur so that was my main concern.  After taking her to the vets, I was handed a bill for $381.05.  Does this seem excessive to anyone or am I being cheap?  They did an exam, urinalysis, cbc, chemistry profile, xray of abdomen, antibiotics, probiotics and a heatworm/lyme/ehrlichia/anaplasmosis screen.  Anyhow, it turns out that she may have a kidney or bladder infection (white cells and blood in her urine, but they didn't say anything about bacteria) and the vet is not so sure about kidney stones..  She also wanted to give subcu fluids for another $25.00, Ampicillin injection just to kick start the antibiotic treatment at $22.50, and Adequan injections $40.00 because she thinks she has arthritis in her spine.  The total with all of that $468.54.  I did not agree to the fluid injection because it had only been a day that she was like this. I figured I would give her pedialite.  Does anyone think this is a little much?  Daisy has never been lethargic or does not seem to be in pain with arthritis.  I looked at the xray, but I am not a doctor so how do you know if you are being ripped off?  Any feed back will be appreciated.

Thanks

Annie mom to Daisy, who doesn't mind paying for treatment but.........