[Dailydrool] Vet Bill???

DeeUtz68 at aol.com DeeUtz68 at aol.com
Fri May 30 18:52:43 PDT 2008

If you got all that, I think you got a deal. I took Dinny to  the vet on
Thursday. He has a serious blood sugar problem and had been diagnosed  by another
vet at the same office with an Insulinoma on his pancreas. Dinny's  regular
vet wasn't there so we had a see someone else.

When I brought Dinny into the vets office, he had to be  carried in on a
stretcher. He could not walk, his 3rd eyelids had completely  covered both eyes,
he could barely stay awake. I told the vet his sugar I was  almost sure it was
his sugar but that I had tried our normal ways of getting his  sugar up and
nothing worked. The vet tech came in and took blood. I few minutes  later she
walked by the room, no vet yet. I asked her what Dinny's blood sugar  was. She
said she didn't know because the vet had requested a full blood panel  done.
Then she came in and gave him a dose of Karo syrup under his tongue. When  the
blood work was done, the vet came in and said Dinny's blood sugar was 47 and
his potassium level was 2.9. He was very out of it. He's had this insulinoma
for  almost 3 months. Then the tech comes in and said the vet wanted an xray to
see  if Dinny's liver was enlarged. They took him out for that. Came back and
saw  from the xray that yes his liver is enlarged and he has a baseball size
tumor on  his pancreas. She then wanted to do thyroid tests, endocrine tests,
bile  enzymes, etc, etc. etc. She just kept naming off tests. He's already had
a the  test for the Insulinoma, there was no need for the other tests, he had
not been  showing symptoms of those things and all his other blood work from 3
months ago  was great.

Needless to say, with just xrays and blood work. Dinny was  toted back
outside to my van, he still could not walk and I got a bill for  $579.00 that was
payable then. They don't take payment  plans.

The saddest part was it would have been okay, had they done  anything for
Dinny. But they sent him home to suffer and die. He's still not  able to get up
and walk for very far. After about 5 feet he lays down and  starts  panting.
I'm giving him karo syrup almost constantly to keep his  sugar level up. I don't
have a lot of choices. I asked the vet to help Dinny to  the bridge that day,
she wouldn't do it. Yet because of his age, over health and  size of the
tumor he's not a good candidate for surgery. Eventually the syrup  won't be enough
and Dinny will fall sleep and not wake up. Until then I can't  leave him
alone for long, he has to have something sweet to keep his sugar up  every hour or
so.

So yea, I think you got a lot for your money, at least you got  something to
make Daisy more comfortable. Dinny didn't get anything for my  money.

Gail
mom to Dinny, Penny, Jasmine and Foster mom to Rowdy, April  and the HOP
Buppies!!!

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.