[Dailydrool] Jane and Watson

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Sat May 31 20:11:23 PDT 2008

 Pam, I forgot to say that we're all thinking of you and sending drool and keeping our pawsies (and fingers) crossed that Jane's metallic objects do not detour but instead pass Go and deposit themselves somewhere in your back yard or along a walk.? Sigh... the things we do for the hounds.

Katie, I'm glad to hear that Watson is doing better.? I like the X-pen idea.? Not big enough to allow him to move about too much, but big enough to keep him contained and near you.? Have you looked into the soft collars some Droolers have used instead of the big E-collars?? Those that have used them say they work well.? Regarding sedatives - when our Daisy Belle broke her toe last summer we, too, had to keep her confined and disallow her from even walking excessively, lest a bone chip come loose and go free-floating? in her joint.? We live in a two-story house.? During the day we secured her on a long lead to the stair banister with a comfy bed, some toys and fresh water.? From this vantage point she could be near us.? She only came off when we took her outside or at dinner time.? The first few days her toe was quite sore so she self-limited her activity but as it healed our wild child hated being confined.? Our vet gave us some sedatives for the really bad days which helped.? Didn't knock her out, just relaxed her enough that she didn't howl her annoyance and upsetment with the arrangement and would lie down and rest.

Good luck on managing the rest of Watson's recovery.

Sandi, Mamaslave to the Boys and the Belles - Dozer, Dudley, Daisy and Delilah