[Dailydrool] Changes at Cascadia Basset Hound Rescue

Sylvie McGee sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Sat May 31 23:04:27 PDT 2008

Hi folks,

I'm writing to let you know about some changes in how Cascadia Basset Rescue
is operating. All of this is very positive!

The first is that Tamie Tate has decided not to be involved in rescue
anymore. She is pursuing new business options for herself, and putting her
energy there. So I've stepped back in to coordinate rescue activities, and
have been REALLY busy for the past six weeks or so, during which time we've
placed 14 dogs.

The second change is that after a lot of thought and discussion, we've
decided to lay down Cascadia Basset Rescue as a separate rescue, and instead
work through Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue (SPDR) as SPDR's Basset Pack. There
are several reasons for this:

1.   SPDR has 501(c)(3) status established.

2.   Going along with that, they have a system for consistent bookkeeping
and reporting to the feds.

3.   They have liability insurance for their volunteers.

4.   They have a greater visibility, and are working on expanding that. As a
result, they have a greater capacity to recruit volunteers, including foster
homes, than we have alone.

We have worked with SPDR all along. I've been the SPDR Basset breed rep for
over 10 years and Tamie has been the co-rep for the past two years. Dogs
coming in from central Puget Sound (from Everett south to Olympia) shelters
have been identified for us by the shelter checkers who volunteer with SPDR
- so those dogs have always been SPDR dogs. We have a good working
relationship with other folks in rescue through SPDR, and that's a great
support system to have for home checks, transportation and fostering.

I'm delighted that Julie Stevenson, who has been one of Cascadia's most
active volunteers, is stepping in to serve as co-rep with me in SPDR, and
will be learning the ropes of managing rescue functions.

The most important aspect of affiliating fully through SPDR, instead of
operating separately as Cascadia Basset Rescue, is that it will reduce
administrative burden and free us to concentrate on what is most important
to us: the Bassets who need homes.

I am VERY proud of what we have accomplished as Cascadia Basset Rescue. Over
the years since we were established, we've placed well over 1,000 dogs in
good, loving homes. And we're planning on continuing to do that good work
for as long as it needs doing - just under a new name.

So, effective June 1, we are operating as Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue's
Basset Pack. We've updated (finally!) our website, and you can find
information about volunteering, supporting the dogs' care, or finding a dog
on the new page or by referral at SPDR's page, which is: www.spdrdogs.org
<http://www.spdrdogs.org/> .

Let me clarify right up front that despite the name, we will continue to
cover the areas we have covered all along - Western Washington, Alaska and
pitching in as needed in Oregon and Idaho.

The last piece of news, especially for those in the Pacific Northwest, is
that we will no longer be holding Droolapalooza on Labor Day weekend. Our
volunteers have worked themselves to the bone putting this on each year -
and we've had a great time doing it.  But the main organizer has always been
Tamie, and with her stepping down, I am not prepared to step into that
particular role.

Thanks to everyone who has supported Cascadia and the dogs we serve over the
years. I hope that we can continue to count on your support as we continue
to take in, care for and place Bassets in need of new homes.

Sylvie McGee

Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue Basset Pack

www.bassetrescue-wa.org <http://www.bassetrescue-wa.org/>

sylviemcgee at comcast.net