[Dailydrool] stubborn

julie jules56pt at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 19:08:10 PST 2008

Bassets have to be among the most stubborn creatures out there.  Our bassets have been difficult if not impossible to potty train.  The three we have now are the best we have ever had.  They have had an accident or two but not very often.  We do a lot of door opening and the three can never go out at the same time.  Anyone with a young basset needs a bottomless well of patience.  Some old ones need lots of patience too.  Bassets need lots of touching and love constantly.  Mine want to be touched all the time and never get enough.  they follow us from room to room  just to keep us in sight.  They need so much care but they also give love with every fiber of their being, unless the name was Sunny, and that was a unique story.  Love your bassets while trying to teach them and you both will come out ahead.

The girls got their ears cleaned and their nails clipped this weekend by Nic(a very big 16 year old) and me.  It took two of us on the loveseat, one on the head(me) and one with the clippers(Nic) but we got it done.  Nic is very good with them and very patient.  I tried singing to them to distract them and it seemed to help.  Nic got them all clipped and then I cleaned the ears.  No one fought that at all.  Marley even fell asleep while we were working on her.   The mind boggles.  Maggie had the hardest time because she is so big and does not like her paws touched.  doesn't bite, just doesn't like it.  I thought Marley would howl at the singing but it put her to sleep.  I aam not  great singer but can carry a tune.  I sang to the boys a lot when they were little.

Bassets are a lot of fun even when they are being pains in the butt.  Ya gotta love em.

Julie, Ninja, Marley, and Maggie