[Dailydrool] pill giving

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 1 08:31:45 PDT 2008

Between Elvis and Ms.Brandy I give lots of pills! I use cream cheese ( you can buy the cheaper store brand-but get the regular- not low-fat or tubs- they don't work as well). I take a teaspoon sized glob and can stick in the pills- several will fit at once. Then just sort of 'wrap' the cheese so the pills are all inside. Ms.Brandy does not like pills- but LOVES cream cheese more than she hates pills. She knows they are there but still takes it. If you give a piece of cheese without pills, then the one with pills and have another plain one ready- so that they see it- the second one will go down real fast, cause they want that next one! Here they now just take the pill ones without issue- I no longer have to hand over 'freebies'.
Some of the pills I don't wrap inside the cheese- for example I like the Tramadol to be on the outside- so I just stick it on the glob and hand it over with the pill on the bottom. Elvis takes one that is supposed to melt in the mouth- Yeah right! If I give it to him plain he spits it out which leaves a gooey melting mess trying to get it back in his mouth. So now I just stick it to the outside of the cheese and hope that most melts on the way through the mouth.
I have used liversausage with some success- though it is not as mold-able and costs more. Hot dogs and PB just don't work for us- the pills are always spit back out.
Ms.Brandy is on a low-fat diet- but I think the benefit of getting the pills in her outweigh the fat content/risks of the cheese.
droolies, Angelika