[Dailydrool] Ripe smelling doggies?

Suzabells suzabells at aol.com
Tue Nov 4 14:40:59 PST 2008

Noone is going to agree with me on this so i am bracing for the onslaught BUT... i noticed the unique "fragrance" of bassets when i bought Daisy some 7 months ago. i was forewarned via internet that the smell can get into carpets, furniture and surely their  beds.  i used a shampoo i got from the vets all summer long , giving her a  bath about every 3 weeks because she played in the yard , got dusty, muddy etc.

well, i ran out of the stuff so i found a big jug of Pantene moisturizing shampoo/conditioner combo under the sink i had forgotten about. i began using that , i give her a great massage while she stands patiently in the sink ( a two sided sink) and lets me indulge myself. i work it into her skin very well, all over her body under, over and around.   i use Johnson's baby shampoo on her head, her face and in and around her ears so we don't get burning soap in her eyes.  i believe it is more in the massage deep into the skin that does the trick, then a nice warm rinsing well to get it all out of the fur.i have not been able to detect that smell on her since!

i thought it was my imagination at first but my grown kids also said she doesn't have that smell anymore. i change the sheets on her feather pillow bed once a week, she sleeps in a kennel in the kitchen so it was really important i keep that clean. between sheet changes i spray the bed with Febreeze Nuetralizing spray and it works great. mostly , because the smell is gone from her body the bed doesn't get smelly either.  no dry skin, no itching and scratching, just a nice shiny smooth coat and we are odor free! maybe any shampoo would work but because this was what i had, i am using it up.  might want to try it, it appears to work for us.  Sue and Daisy