[Dailydrool] Bassets in bed

Jane & Marty Hay jhay at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 4 18:28:40 PST 2008

I was pretty adamant about no dog in our bed when we adopted Jersey. Well, that lasted till the first night that she was with us! Then Shadow came a few months later. She is so small (only 38 pounds compared to Jersey's 60 pounds) and is so easy to sleep with that it wasn't any big deal to have her in bed too. We couldn't crate Suzy when she came to us because she had been crate abused plus she was a puppy that we needed to know what she was doing all the time so.....you guessed it. Into the bed she came. It wasn't too bad because Suzy likes getting under the covers so at least we weren't totally pinned by three sleeping hounds. The only problem is, Suzy grew! It wasn't a big deal to have her in bed at first. She was only four months old and smaller than Shadow but that didn't last long. We finally decided when Suzy was a year old that something had to change so we made the bathroom off our family room into a very plush space for Suzy and Shadow and that became their bedroom and now Ginger has joined them too. Jersey sleeps on the couch in the family room and we finally have our bed back to ourselves. All of the girls come in with me in the morning for a while when the DH goes to work so we get to snuggle then and on weekends but it's amazing how small our king sized bed got with three bassets in it!

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger (aka Pita)