[Dailydrool] New subspecies of basset identified

Mary Wilson mewilson at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 5 20:40:09 PST 2008

Today, as Vernon Q Basset regarded me blandly from the middle of the dining room table, I realized a profound truth. He is not an ordinary basset... no, like Jill the Bagel  and all the other climbers out there, he is something else entirely.

I consulted a Latin/English dictionary (okay, web translation site) and discovered that "climb" is translated, "escendo." Thus, I realized that Vernon Q Basset represents a significant subspecies of basset -- the basset escendo, or (in English) the Ascending Basset.

Their motto? "Per ardua ad nutrimens" -- "through adversity to the food." I hope the Canadian air force and the RCAF won't mind this variation of their motto... "through adversity to the stars" seems a little lofty for Vernon Q, but there is definitely adversity involved in his climbing attempts.

If the species has already been named (and no, I don't just mean the names you shriek at the basset when you find him on the dining room table), I will gladly bow to history and adopt the existing nomenclature.

Mary
and Paddi B Basset,
and Vernon Q Basset, Basset Escendo.