[Dailydrool] potassium bromide

Katharine Gillen miss.lottie at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 7 18:05:33 PST 2008

Karen - I had a poodle about 10 years ago who was epileptic starting at 8 months of age.  For years we tried to control her seizures with phenobarbital, but her seizures remained uncontrolled.  After several years I took her to a veterinary neurologist and he suggested putting her on potassium bromide.  She never had another seizure after that and lived to age 12 at which point she developed diabetes and we decided, with the vet's advice, not to prolong her life by treating the diabetes.  I would highly recommend trying the potassium bromide first like your vet recommended.  If I ever have another epileptic dog, I would try that as first course of treatment.  Good luck.  Feel free to e-mail me privately if you wish to discuss further.                                                                Kate Gillen, All Paws Crossed