[Dailydrool] Cushings Info

Patti belleheidi at msn.com
Fri Nov 7 19:41:41 PST 2008

Our 8 yr old Heidi just had her annual exam and we ran Senior Wellness tests (5 different tests including CBC, Chemistry test for Liver, Kidney, Pancreas, Muscle and Bone, Thyroid Function, Urinalysis, and Fecal).  The results came back and were a little off - muscle was abnormal, liver enzymes were elevated and she has a UTI.  Heidi has does not have any symptoms of a typical UTI so we were shocked.  We are having a tap done tomorrow to run a culture sensitivity to be sure the right antibiotics are started.  We have noticed that sometimes Heidi's back legs seem weak but we attributed that to the fact that she has hip displaysia.  We also ran a full Michigan Thyroid Panel and won't have the results of that until next week.  We ran this same test last year and the test indicated that Heidi "has an increased risk of hypothyroidism in the future."

Today I was doing some research (the internet is a dangerous thing) on elevated liver enzymes and came across info for Cushing's Disease.  While some of the items I mentioned above are indicators for Cushing's, Heidi does not seem to have the more obvious symptoms of excess drinking & urinating, increased appetite or pot-bellied appearance (our vet was raving on what good shape is in).

I plan on asking our vet tomorrow when we are in if it could be Cushing's and will run tests to find out for sure, but I wanted to ask if anyone has had any experiences with Cushing's and ask for any helpful hints or info in case that is what we are looking at.

Thanks in advance,

Patti
Owned by Heidi (8y) and Belle (8 days short of 13y)