[Dailydrool] Need Advice On Adding A 5th (Claire Schaeffer)

claire schaeffer McDonaldsRules at msn.com
Sun Nov 9 17:24:19 PST 2008

I read you religiously but do not post. I am in need of advice. I have 4 bassets age 4-9. Today we brought home a 5th. A little history on her. She was rescued from a kill shelter 3 months ago by a friend of mine. She was very sick and bone thin. It was apparent she has recently had a litter of puppies. Now 3 months later she is well, spayed and getting some weight on. However my friend could not keep her because she did not get along with her dogs.  She had large dogs and a small ankle bitter that barks non stop. The little sweet basset girl could not fit in with the dogs. She is shy, quite and reserved. So today my husband brought her home. I need advice on how to get her to fit in with my four. We introduced them one on one in private. But she is terrified so for today we let our son take her down in the basement with him and I am keeping the other four upstairs.  We have tried all day off an on letting them nose each other and smell each other but the new girl, we are going to call her Bella, she runs and hides every time you approach her. I have never had a basset do this.  I am desperate for advice. This girl has been through so much and the 4 bassets we have are all real easy going, no food or guarding issues. So any advice would be greatly appreciated on helping her fit in and feel at home.
Thanks Claire
mother to Ruffis, Baby, Beathoven, Einstein and Bella