[Dailydrool] Need Advice On Adding A 5th (Claire Schaeffer)

Sylvie McGee sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Sun Nov 9 20:51:35 PST 2008

Just let them mix in. She will eventually relax.

Hank-he's-not-a-foster-anymore was the same way when he first came here. He
was terrified of me, of the other dogs, etc...I just let him have his space,
but mixed in with my pack. He soon relaxed with them. With me it took
longer, but recently he walked over to the couch where I was relaxing with
Aretha-the-teenage-queen-of-all-she-sees-Basset, and he looked at the couch,
looked at me, and hopped up. Success!

Do not coddle her. Do not separate her. Give her a space where she can
retreat, like a crate or a corner with a bed, and then just let her control
how she mixes in. Introducing one of your dogs at a time or the period of a
couple of hours, and she will relax in time. If your kids are easygoing,
they will sniff her all over but then let her be.

Alternatively, put her in one room, put a baby gate up between that room and
the room the other dogs are in, and let her get used to their smells,
sounds, etc...and then as she gets curious, let her mix in.

Four on one is a lot, she just needs some time to get accustomed. But
separating her out and making a big deal over introducing them will probably
just prolong the anxiety.

Hope this is helpful.

Sylvie McGee
HeavenScent Bassets
Olympia, WA

This message is copyright, and may not be forwarded or cross-posted without
my explicit permission.