[Dailydrool] Bell hound

Horse n Hound horsenhound at nac.net
Mon Nov 10 14:17:51 PST 2008

Thanks Sandi, I never knew there was a real term for this.

My Roxy, the pointy ear dog, who died in June, was our bell hound.  I just
thought that since she was a sight hound (greyhound body with pointy
ears), she was the first to spot intruders on the street.  She would bark,
then Fred would chime in.  They would only bay if they wanted something.

Now Harley Puppy starts the bark, which turns into a bay.  Fred and PW
Harley Chick follow.

Years ago I took Harley Chick and Fred to hunt tests.  Lots of bassets.
When a car or truck would arrive, the bassets would begin to bay.  Very
cool the first time; very cool the second time.  Not so cool at midnight,
even worse at 2:00 am.

I do have the calendar picture on my office wall of Fizban teaching
Tasselhoff to bay. (or is it the other way around?)

The Jersey Girls, plus three
Alice, the slave;
PW Harley Chick RN CGC, Fred RN CGC, Miss Harley CGC, the bassets;
Annie & Scotch, the horses; and Charlie, the parrot