[Dailydrool] dog doors in winter

Reed and Becky Pomeroy rebec at execpc.com
Wed Nov 12 15:14:07 PST 2008

We live in Wisconsin, and with 19 dogs, not counting the babies, there is
no way I am going to play doorman.  I also don't want to
freeze.  anyway, we have quite a bit of experience with dog doors and
are more than willing to offer advice.

First, there are a
number of doors that are designed so that there is a flap within a
flap.  The larger flap pushes open when the dog goes out and smaller
flap which is contained within the larger flap pushes open when the dog
comes in.  I have never bought this kind but know people who
have.  I dont' like them for 2 reasons.  First, dogs have been
known to become tangled in the loop created by the larger door when the
smaller door is open.  Second, in cold weather, the flaps tend to
warp and not close properly.

Then there is the door with a
single solid flap, hinged at the top, such as the magnador.  Don't
bother.  they let in all sorts of weather.  Ours always had ice
on the inside.  Plus the first time an otterhound blasted through it,
it cracked.

then there are the doors with a single vinyl flap,
secured with strong magnets at the bottom, such as the PetSafe Classic
doors - which have had at least 4 different name since we started using
them.  This is the flap we use.  It is quiet, safe, and almost
affordable.  It is not perfect.  I would not use one where wind
can hit it - it would blow open.  We avoid this by putting an
"igloo" outside each flap door (ours are in walls, not
doors).  the igloo is a box which sits agains the outside wall
enclosing the flap door.  there is an opening in the box on the side
AWAY from the prevailing winds.  You might be able to see the flap
doors on the Photo Gallery page of our website.  We also hang a truck
mudflap on the outside of the wall as a second flap.  We have had
dogs eat the flaps from time to time.  Our current 19 don't seem to
like the taste.  Bitter Apple furniture paste was quite effective
when we had gourmands.  Eventually to flap will warp, but if cleaned
regularly, they last a long time, and replacement flaps are available.

then there are the flanged doors.  these are hinged on the
side and close by completely covering the hole on the outside, extending a
little way beyond the hole on all sides.  On the side oposite the
hinge, is a flange.  To go out, the dog just pushes the door open and
goes out.  To come in, he must put his nose under the flange and flip
the door open as the door only opens OUT.  if the wind blows, it just
pushes the door harder shut.  these doors are great in ereas that get
weather, and my crew figured out how to use them in about 5 minutes.
However, they are noisey when they snap closed.

these days
there are also doors that open electronicly with a collar the dog wears,
and just about anything you can imagine.  Cost can go into hte
several hundreds for a single door.  I'd just look around on the
internet to see what's out there.

These folks carry a large
selection:  http://www.moorepet-petdoors.com/

crazy basset lady