[Dailydrool] Dog Patio Door

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Thu Nov 13 09:34:44 PST 2008

O:-)

Shove her through

I know.. I know.. sounds cruel.. but if she wants to get back in... or to
get the treat you're holding (you are holding a treat right??) she'll have
to come to grips with that nasty doggie window door thingy ...

LOL

One of my boys just wouldn't.. so I'd shove him out.. hold the flap open
just enough for him to see the treat and get its scent.. then as he'd reach
for it.. I'd pull the treat back in.. and hold it there just inside... he
could see it.. but "that nasty flap" was in his way..

after a few attempts, he finally started pushing the flap... with just a
little help from the inside .. and now after probably 15 to 20 times of
being bribed with treats.. they come and go with out a problem.. :)

wonder whats going to happen when full on winter hits.. and I decide to put
the second flap in ... :-)

Speaking of treats and doggie doors .... Any of you other doggie door owners
see your hound try to go through with a dog bone sticking out the side of
their mouth?

Again.. I know.. kinda cruel to laugh at ... but oh my god! it was the
funniest thing to see one of my boys go to exit the door like normal..
trying to nudge open the flap at the bottom corner ...yeah, they could push
anywhere but this one loves that bottom corner .... and all the sudden he
couldn't reach.. the steak bone I'd just given him and he was trying to make
out the door with was hitting the side ... he must have tried a dozen times
while my sister and I stood there laughing at him ... till I finally reached
down and guided his head through.. LOL !!!

-Robert

PS. with the treat as reward ... if you get something like the chicken jerky
(Costco has a big bag and not too expensive) that works really well, its
thin, easily slips under the edge of the doggie door and you can pull it
back so they can't have it till they nudge the door.  That one hound of mine
... what worked for him was to leave the flap open just enough that it was
"started" for him.  My doggie door is a vinyl flap, magnets at the bottom
and sides 1/3rd the way up, also has light weight brush strips at the sides
and bottom to help stop the door in one spot, keep wind & debris out, etc
similar to this one
http://www.atrendyhome.com/dowamoduflme.html

  _____

Subject: [Dailydrool] Dog Patio Door