[Dailydrool] Puppy Potty Training

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu Nov 13 10:23:27 PST 2008

One thing you need to remember is that most dogs do not empty their bladder
with a "single pee stop" - particularly males.  All they do with a single
pee stop is relieve a little bit of pressure.  I am not sure why they do
this, but I suspect it has to do with the marking instinct.  My guys require
at least three "pee stops" on the last call of the evening before bed.
Also, the rule of thumb is that a puppy is only able to hold its bladder for
1 hour per month of age.  Most dogs max out at about 8 - 10 hours at night,
but a shorter period during the day.

I don't know if you have a fenced yard, but if you do you could try putting
the puppy out for 15 minutes each hour.  Hide some treats outside for him to
"hunt" down to get him moving out into the grass.  Walk away from the door.
Usually they will learn that they need to really go potty before coming back
in.  Also, you could try walking him in a mulched area, instead of in the
grass.

I just saw something called a "pee stone" in a doggie catalogue.  It is
scented to train a dog to go in a particular spot.  This might work with a
dog who doesn't like grass.  BTW, most basset puppies don't like wet grass
but he will outgrow that . usually.

Sandi Wittenberg - Red Bay Bassets

sandi at redbaybassets.com