[Dailydrool] Potty Training

anitra palato santanapants at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 13:07:22 PST 2008

I agree with momperson Bev that you need to start all over and think he is
12 weeks old.

He can be trained but it will take patience, lots of cleaner,
piddle pads/newspaper, while outside saying over and over "go pee, go potty,
or go poo poo" without looking at him or letting him think you are playing
with him..pretend he is not there when you say it.... THEN when it
happens....happy dances outside in the cold wet of winter (having the
neighbors thinking you are nuts), setting the alarm at night to wake you up
for a potty break, (you will see lots of cool shooting stars at night),
constantly asking "you want to go outside" and making it sound like it's
something that ONLY HE in the entire world is doing and its the best thing
EVER!, when in the house watch his every step (only time he should be in his
crate is when  you can't physically be there (you are in the shower, at
work)....you need to notice his signal that he is about to go...just when
you
notice get him outside.

We potty trained Santana 100% at 20 weeks old.  He now uses a doorbell like
Frank.

We started w/ him in the crate (door closed if we were showering, door open
if we were at work) in laundry room (door closed).  ENTIRE floor covered
with piddle pads/newspaper (it does leave black marks on the floor when wet
though)

We kept entire floor covered until we saw a spot that he favored and went to
for peepee or poopoo.

We then removed the rest of the floor coverings that he did not even go to.

Then we went to 2 coverings. (if he missed then we start from square one)

After he got the idea, we started to move the coverings else where a little
more each time to the door he would use to go out to make his peepee or
poopoo.

Then when I would come home from work I would take a covering with me
outside on the grass, he sometimes wo uld go on the covering or sometimes go
on the grass.  We stood out there until I knew he was finished.  Then I
would THROW A PARTY! Dancing, treats, pats, love, rubs etc!

He stopped pooping after about 2 weeks in that room, (he thought it was
gross and will play leap frog if there are poopies on the grass outside) he
would ONLY go outside. Entire time as a pup he only went poop on the rub
once because Daddy ALSO had to learn the signals and didn't notice because
mommy DID IT.

He then stopped peepee in that room after 4 weeks and would go outside with
an occasional accident inside because we didn't pay attention to the
signals.  We took
him out immediately when this happened so he knew where to go...and started
with the peepee poopoo chant.

At night we set our alarm (he sleeps with us even as a pup) for every 2
hours to take him out.  Then we would see him being able to hold it longer,
eventually he asked and whined when he needed to go out in the middle of the
night.

It can be done....be patient!

Hope this helps!

--
Anitra
Momma To

Check out Mr. Pants' woofsites!
Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/622568
OR
Myspace Page: http://www.myspace.com/santanadog

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a Basset Hound licking your face