[Dailydrool] (no subject)

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Thu Nov 13 13:04:14 PST 2008

Heather,
If the weather is anywhere near decent, tape the flap up with masking tape or blue painters tape for a day or so--. I have had foster dogs and some get it very quickly and for others it takes awhile. One guy learned in five minutes to go in and out with chicken pieces. But if that doesn't work--tape it up, or lift the flap for
her--don't open the regular door, though, if you can help it. Also, I have found the hounds want IN more
than out. If nothing else works, let them OUT through the regular door-- Then sit inside with a really good
treat and coax them back IN. Once they go through a few times, they get it.
As far as heat loss--the amount of heat or AC that goes out my dog door is nothing compared to opening
the regular door a bunch of times to let them in and out. I actually think it is energy efficient.

I was also at Lowe's this weekend and bought the dog door that fits in
your patio door.  It's been an interesting experience so far...Winnie
seems to be afraid of the flap.  I've tried bribing her through with
cookies, promises of belly rubs, and all sorts of other things.  She
will only go through the door if I hold the flap open for her.

--
Marilyn Briggs