[Dailydrool] potty experiences with a basset

georgie&miss.becky sauble at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 14 07:51:34 PST 2008

My experience with a stubborn basset Miss Becky and Airedale.
The Airedale was no problem but Miss Becky was terrible.
Dazey was pretty good but she loved stealing roasts which is different.
Now this should make you feel better. Miss Becky wasn't trained till age 2 and she used one room as her private bathroom.  We would take her out and she'd come in and head for the bedroom and DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I cleaned it up soaked with rags most of smell and a son moved in but if you left that door open even though she was trained she'd do it in there. It was locked when noone in there. Febreeze is a godsend as is vinegar.
And on an article about pros and cons of dogs traits  the question 'which breed is exceptionally hard to potty train"
Yep bassets are in that group high up on the list. And for what it's worth now that she's almost 15 she has NO accidents - amazing.  So it cam be done eventually.  Piddling was the main issue.
Good Luck.
Georgie