[Dailydrool] check YOUR gate now!!

Shannon R Gerdel pheleant at msn.com
Sun Nov 16 21:04:57 PST 2008

Good evening,

        Please don't be offended, I do not mean to yell at you, or order anyone here around. I am asking you to go check your gate, or any part of your fence that can be opened, RIGHT NOW! Maybe we should make the 17th of each month "Check the gate day." Be sure that all of the screws and nails are still where they should be. Is everything tight and secure? Is your lock still on the gate? The horrible wind we had last week damaged our gate. The back and forth motion of the gate in the wind caused 1 screw to come out, and it sheared the other one off at the head.

        I had been laying down to rest for awhile, when I heard Cathy yell "BOYS!!" and then I heard the door slam. Living in a home with Boomer and Arnie, it's not unusual to hear her holler at the boys when they push her to far. Hearing the screen door open didn't really phase me, I was resting, remember? When she came back in, I asked if everything was okay. She replied that they boys were out. I got into my chair, pulled my oxygen off, and headed for the door. I got to the front door when she brought Arnie in. Our next-door neighbor caught Boomer, and was bringing him back. We are blessed to have such helpful neighbors.

        Cathy had gone to look in the backyard to see how they had escaped. The gate was in it's standard closed position. She said that she could not see how they had gotten out, and that the only way that we would be able to tell was to let them get out while she was watching them. Cathy asked Boomer to show "mom" how he and his accomplice had literally walked out of the back yard. Boo walked up to the gate, pushed on it with his feet, and it opened. Cathy found the screw and the "striker bar" for the gate on the ground. I am so grateful that we were home when this happened.

        Drool to those who need it. Our sweet and innocent Babe is Drooling extra for those in CA. She hates fire. Her foster home burned to the ground the day before she came to live with us forever. You are in our prayers. If you need to use our basement, it's available to you.

Boomer: dogster.com/dogs/235129
Babe: dogster.com/dogs/261208
Arnie: dogster.com/dogs/281040
Shannon (an absolute, total, complete BassetCase): myspace.com/shannongerdel