[Dailydrool] invisible fence 'boundary aggression' ?

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Sun Nov 16 23:25:23 PST 2008

Shirley ... and I'm sure you've heard these things before ...

I just can't understand how **anyone** when faced with such an issue could
feel confident in the fence after even the mildest of issues like this!

I can understand the arguments "well if the hound digs a hole they could get
out of a physical fence" ...etc... but holes can be patched ... there are
ways to discourage the digger..(like running cinderblock under the fence
line to discourage digging at the fence)

Or even as one user does it.. they have a physical fence **AND** the
invisible one so that they can keep the hounds a foot or more away from the
physical fence line (deters jumping on the fence, digging under, etc)

I hate to brow beat people about this.. and again Shirley you've probably
heard all of this before ... but really what does it take for people to
learn these things are *NOT* effective enough on their own?

And what about animals that aren't stopped by the invisible fence? other
dogs could come running into your yard nip at your hounds and then make it
back across the line ...

I moved from my previous house, and one of the deciding factors was that the
new house **MUST HAVE** a physical fence, so that **MY** basset could have a
larger area away from other predators that could cross easily into a yard
were the physical fence not there.

What about places where there are more than just dogs?  Bear? Wolves? Deer?
While all of them could make it by/through/over a physical fence.. the
likelihood they would do so is less than an "invisible" fence... for in
places where there is no "invisible fence" ... well there is NOTHING to stop
a predator from crossing the "invisible" boundary... NOTHING to stop them or
even slow them or give them reason to pause!!

It should only take one such occurrence of this type of behavior to convince
people they need to do more than invisible fence ... but alas... it seems
the dream of invisible fencing has pulled its grand illusion and keep the
wool over folks eyes, such that they still believe in the damned things..
even after given proof they can't be trusted!

:(

Again, Shirley .. I don't mean it as a personal attack ... it just really
upsets me the level of false confidence people have in the thing ... one of
"those" issues that just hits my trigger button.  I'm sorry..

-Robert