[Dailydrool] dogs getting cold

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 13:24:29 PST 2008

I think dogs DO get cold. Llewis is much less apt to stay out and play in
the cold weather, and if he gets wet, he shivers for a half an hour, or
until Daddy puts a blankie on him. Nigel pays less attention, and Mitchell
--well he appears to be quite weatherproof. He once won at a dog show when
it was pouring rain. He was the only Basset there who went out and around
the ring as if it were a nice,spring day with a cool breeze and blue skies.
I am sure that is the only reason he won that day-- nobody else showed their
stuff.
Cooper's feet get cold in the very cold weather and he sits down or lays
down out in the yard and I have to go out and coax him in.
Zelda (ATB) never minded weather, either.
I know breeds with less hair get chilled easily, Bassets seem pretty hardy
but I think, like anything else, if they are not used to the cold at all,
then they need some help. (I have a doggie coat but by the time I get it
on Llewis he has peed on the floor.)

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Mitchell and Cooper