[Dailydrool] Weight charts

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Fri Nov 21 18:03:14 PST 2008

Back in the days when I was a reference librarian for a public
library, one of the second-grade teachers in the township's
elementary school used to assign a project that required children to
find the weight of a Great Dane at the ages of six months and a year,
and the six-month and year weights of a dog breed of their choice.

All the librarians hated this project because it was undoable. None
of the reference books, regular books, or periodicals had this
information (this was back in the early 1990s, before the Internet in
libraries--I was still using an electric typewriter for book lists
and catalog cards). Every time we ran across a review for a new book
about dogs we'd check to see if it had this information. It never
did. If it had, we would have bought it regardless of price and kept
it under lock and key so it couldn't be stolen.

I wound up calling a number of veterinarians in the area, and they
all said such information didn't exist, that within a breed the
weights varied too greatly to make generalities about. A runt will
weigh less than the others, a male may weigh more than a female, a
pup may take after a parent who's unusually large or small for the
breed, a pup who's sick may weigh less, and so on. There are just too
many variables.

We tried to tell the teacher that this assignment needed to be
scrapped, but it kept coming back, year after year. The result was
that young children who were still mastering their reading skills
were experiencing defeat instead of success when it came to using
library resources. What a great first impression for them to get--the
library can't help them and doesn't have the answer to their
questions. Their parents weren't too impressed either. We tried to
redeem ourselves several years later when the children came back as
sixth graders needing to identify leaves for the annual leaf project.
At least that one was doable.

To make this trip down memory lane somewhat basset related, I took
our Elsinore and young Charlie to the vet to be weighed a couple
weeks ago. Elsinore is a svelte 45 pounds and Charlie is a scant 31
pounds. He has a very slight build, and we're keeping his weight as
low as possible so that his deformed front legs and rather long back
don't have to carry any more weight than is absolutely necessary.
We're keeping Elsinore's weight down so that her sciatica doesn't
flare up as often.

Elizabeth