[Dailydrool] Memories of Sophie Loafie

Laura Ripley bicoastalbassetmom at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 23 16:49:43 PST 2008

Hi all, I just got thru reading some emails that drool members sent and 4 days worth of drool digests.  Thank you all so much for the wonderful e-mails.  It was hard reading them. I tried Friday but just couldn't get past the 3rd one.

I want to thank all who burned a candle in memory of my Sophie Loafie.  Some of you did not know her, others did, some acutally met her at Daphneyland Basset Rescue Ranch.  Of course you met Jack as well.  And one of you I met during the Unwanted Christmas Puppy era.

It has been a very hard 4 days.  I think today it really hit Jack, as today was the first day he whined most of the day and kept checking all Sophie's favorite places to hide.  And Molly has no one to run the Basset 500 after dinner with.  Jack plays with his squeak toy but has never really been one to do the 500.  That was Sophie and Molly's thing and Jack would bark at them.  Rarely did he join in.

I packed up Sophie's dish, harness, leash and crate today.  They are now down in the basement.  That was very hard.  Then I went out to pick up the land mines and found her favorite toy in the snow.  I hadn't been out in their section of the yard since Wednesday so I had a big mess to clean up after raking thru the snow that dumped on us yesterday.  So I washed up her toy and took it down and put it in her bowl.  They have lots of toys but they each have/had a favorite.  I just couldn't handle having Jack or Molly, with her favorite right now.

But I have so many good memories as well.  My pictures of her on San Simeon Beach, the first time I took her camping and she stole my Klondike bar right after I got the paper of it, and her constant theiving of my socks, while I tried to fold laundry.  This always created a happy chase.  The Hound Hoe Down at Daphneyland where she and jack were all dressed up in the patriotic finest, the So CA Basset Hound Picnic in Arcadia, we went nearly every year till we moved, and she waddled in the "parade of Rescues" there, and entered the costume contests there as well.

The trip across the country to our new home and her getting to see some of the Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest, the Grand Canyon.  My Sophie, and Jack and Molly were and are well traveled.  Of course sometimes we get talked to by the rangers, but I try to make sure no one is around when I take them out of the car to enjoy those sights with me.
Yes all 3 of my babies have peed in the Petrified forest etc.

But that was then.  Now I have a big hole in my heart. I come in the door and only 2 faces greet me, and I look for the third.  I know in time it will get easier, but not today.  And now I go and light a candle for my beloved girl.  I don't really have a proper memorial candle but I'll light what I have.

Healing drool to all in need,  Jack and Molly with ears hanging low in respect for all those who have passed on to the bridge.

Laura, Action Jackson, Miss Molly and Sophie Loafie ATB.