[Dailydrool] Questions for reputable breeders

Jill Beniak jbeniak at cox.net
Mon Nov 24 20:04:03 PST 2008

Since you mentioned Pretty Boy Floyd specifically I thought I would answer
your question honestly.  A basset like Floyd in Southern CA goes for about
$1200 - $1500.  That is probably the average going rate for pretty much any
show bred breed of dog.  Some breeds that only have one or two a litter can
run twice that.  Notice I said show bred, not show quality.  You really
don't know if they are show quality until they grow up.  It's a roll of the
dice and most breeders around here sell to pet homes for the same price as
those going into show homes.  After all, all pups in the litter are equal in
their breeding, their heritage and their health history.    For that 1500.00
you get a built in family.  You get a built in support system.   You get the
knowledge of the dogs ancestral history.  You know going into it what health
problems the line might carry.  You get the piece of mind that the breeder
will always be there just a phone call away.

Average life span of a healthy basset is 12-14 years.  Some live much
longer.  My Virgil lived to be 14 1/2.  My Millie, 12

Will the breeders grill you?  I certainly hope so.  These breeders have put
allot of  thought, time, money, love, sweat and tears (many tears) in the
upbringing of these baby bassets.  They want to know for sure that their
effort won't go to waste and the pup goes on to live a full and happy life
with a family that deserves him.

Good luck on your search.  And don't be scared to go out of your area in
your search.  Whats one or two days of travel time for a wonderful basset
that you will share your life with for the next 12-14 years?

Jill Beniak and Pretty Boy Floyd