[Dailydrool] questions for reputable breeders

Sara saraberry at aol.com
Mon Nov 24 12:40:06 PST 2008

It is hard to say what the life span and prognosis for illness is with any basset.? I have seen some pass with cancer at very young ages, and others who threaten to outlive us all.? Dogs in general are not going to live even a quarter of our lifespan and we have to understand that when we bring a dog into our lives.? Each day is a gift, not a promise or a guarantee and we have to celebrate it with our dogs as such.

Certainly, if you have concerns for genetic difficulties you should talk with your breeder and ask about what dogs in the pedigree had problems with.? You can also go to http://www.basset-bhca.org/Health/healthpolicy.htm?and you can test for all of those things even if you do not intend to breed.

Glaucoma is a good example.? If you see a veterinary ophthalmologist early enough in a dog's life, you can determine some of the potential for glaucoma and if your dog is susceptible, there are some medications that can stave off the onset or possible prevent it from coming on completely.?? This?isn't always the case because a dog can get glaucoma from running into a door, but?it might help. ?How many do this or suggest it?? Probably only people breeding because to find a veterinary ophthalmologist first off is not always easy and second, the cost involved.

You can also ask your vet to do an abdominal ultrasound to look at organs such as the heart and spleen to see if they are normal size.? Again, you are looking at costs, and sometimes the best you can do is get a baseline, so that when you look in the future, you have something to compare against, which in the case of abnormal growths, may show problems down the road.

I think the best questions to ask about a new dog or puppy from a responsible breeder involve socialization of the puppy.? How many different places has the puppy been and what has the puppy already encountered.? Socialization of puppies is now recognized as the single largest determinant of success?for the adult dog.? Has the puppy met children?? Older people?? Where was the puppy raised?? In the bedroom or living room, or a kennel?? I want my puppies raised in a living room or a bedroom and not to be separated from the litter mates until 10 weeks if possible longer.? Certainly they should play outside during the day, but at night, they should be sleeping together or in crates indoors.? We like the?living room because?it is an?active human rooms with sounds like tvs and a wider variety of people handling the dogs.

This is the time of year when many people consider getting a second dog or a new dog for their families.

Please keep in mind that there are two responsible ways to acquire a basset hound.

1.? Rescue a dog from a rescue group or shelter.? Many good rescue groups are out there with lovely dogs who just need a good home.??My favorite, of course, is www.ggbassetrescue.org? or Daphneyland in Southern California. If it is a first basset, consider rescuing an older dog.? They are already housetrained and just looking for love.

2.? Contact a reputable breeder and wait for the right dog.? You can email me directly and I will put you in touch with reputable people here in California or the West.? Most all of the responsible breeders will be listed here http://www.basset-bhca.org/Member_Info/data/Breeders/index.php? Remember that a responsible breeder will treat the dogs they have like part of their family and expect you to do the same.

Please encourage your friends not to get dogs from the Internet or people they meet for the first and?last time?in parking lots.? It may feel like you are saving the puppy, and indeed you may be, but think of the mother in a cage somewhere and how the money that breeder gets from you will keep her there and birthing more sad puppies.

Please feel free to share this email with your friends and family who may be considering acquiring a basset and encourage them to read everything they can on the basset hound that they can find to first make sure it is the right dog for them.? Have them over to your home and let them play with your bassets, or even loan out your basset for a sleep over.? This is often a good way for people to really get a good idea for what it takes.

In closing, if costs are an issue, foster a basset through your local rescue.? They will help with expenses and you have first dibs on adopting the dog or you can continue to foster other dogs with their help.

Best to all for a Happy Thanksgiving!?

Sara Watson
Bluefence Bassets