[Dailydrool] Buford/Cushings Update

Heidi I Sarver sarvermb at UDel.Edu
Wed Nov 26 11:53:35 PST 2008

Thanks so much to the folks who emailed me off list with their
thoughts, advice and guidance as Buford and I start our journey down
the Cushings road.  First, I was guided toward a FANTASTIC forum
called CanineCushings.net  !  I looked around, registered, made a
general post, and BAM!  people started posting with all sorts of
stuff, but most importantly, they were asking me all the questions I
forgot to ask my vet--which made me immediately get the vet on the
phone.

Buford is on Trilostane (120 mg) once a day.  He is on day 5 of
treatment and tolerating it very well.  His water intake/output has
already decreased a bit--more in the form of not being frantic to go
out or "reload" after going out.  He is also able to sleep 3-4 hours
during the night without waking up with the "OMG I need to go"
reaction.  Up until now we've been going outside every 1.5-2 hours
throughout the night ...I passed exhausted back in May!

His appetite is good.  Still a little ravenous when meal times start
to loom, but less so during the day.  Just normal basset hound "hey!
you got food and I don't--fix that now!" stuff.  His energy level is
also a little better (he's almost 10 so couch potato is his usual
state).  If he's outside and I hold up a biscuit he runs to the deck
all perky and happy.  I currently have guests for the next few days
and for the first time in over a year he got into "trouble" by
inspecting everyone's suitcase, taking out socks and underwear and
racing around the house with them.  He just SEEMS more at ease and
more like the Buford I remember.

He will undergo an ACTH test next week at the 10-day mark and we'll
see where we stand and whether we need to make adjustments in his
prescription. The pills are expensive (approx. $5 each!!) but if it
helps my baby I'll eat Mac 'n' Cheese for the next year to pay for them!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

--heidi (oh how I love that boy!)
--buford (but the underwear WANTED to be in the living room!)
--della (who ARE all these people and WHY are they in MY house?!)
--guinness (yup, outta here!  open that door and let me out!) the cat.