[Dailydrool] Muzzles

Kay, Nancy K *HS NKK3U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Tue Oct 7 05:42:46 PDT 2008

Sally,

I had to laugh when I read your story of muzzles for Rolph and Clara, because . . . We recently bought a soft muzzle for Sweet Sarah, to try to stop her from eating poop in the evenings.  She'd go out in the yard, in the dark, for her last pee, and come in with really bad poop breath and a nasty chin - all way too gross at bedtime !  To make matters worse, she'd often get the urka-gurkas at 3:00 in the morning, and then throw up brown stuff all over the bedroom carpet, unless I was awake enough to charge out of bed and "catch it" with a towel that we keep under the bed just for that purpose.

So, we thought having Sarah wear a muzzle for 15 minutes a day wouldn't kill her, and it might buy us all a decent night's sleep.  We
bought one and it fits perfectly according to the package.  There's just enough room so she can stick her tongue out the front and pant if she's hot.  Well, the first couple of evenings it was fine.  She was a little embarrassed, like you said, and Frank went up to her and said, "What the hell do you have on your face??!!"  She looked like a bank robber - LOL!

Then she got used to it.  And she went outside one evening and used the muzzle for a scoop on a fresh pile of poop!  When she came back to the door, she'd had her snack, and there was poop all over her nose and wedged between the muzzle and her snout.  What a mess!

After a round through the washing machine, the muzzle is now in the "dog drawer", along with 4 kinds of toenail clippers, Benadryl, Bitter Apple, and some hot pink vet wrap.

Nancy, owned by Sweet Determined Sarah, and Frankie the Tankie