[Dailydrool] wrassling

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 28 15:51:48 PDT 2008

I completely agree with Momperson - there is a thin line between play and a real fight sometimes, and always good to be on top of it.  When Nigel and Colette joined us as pups, they were frequent fighters, and they were litter mates.  Nigel was probably the alpha of the litter, and he was named after his Dad, Chucky, ergo, Chucky Jr.  Had to change that name right away. LOL.  As tough as Nigel is/was, Jellybean knocked him down a peg.  She is 3 months older and very quick, not a mean dog at all, but will hold ground when challenged.  The oldest, Pumpkin, used to have horrible fights with Nigel that I could even hear when I was outside, and they were inside.  I was thinking my Mom or Sister could arrest the situation, but they were often slow to react.  This has a lot to due with having so many hounds, all coming in pretty young, and establishing position in the pack.  They all KNOW I am the leader, and Nigel is terrified of me if I raise my voice, so I try to never yell at any of them because he takes it all very personally.  Max was the hardest to teach to back down, but I think he had abuse in his life, and he was a stray, so he had to be tough.  No one messes with Jean Paul, as he is undeniably the alpha and has the growl/bark to prove it, but in any battle he rarely draws blood, and he doesn't look for a fight either.  He wants his space, he wants to give kisses and play ball, and he wants me.  He pretty much uses his weight as his authority, and he is pretty good at basset tossing. The only time Pierre is in a fight is when someone else wants his food.  Nigel just about ripped one of his canine teeth out this past summer over food, emergency trip to the Vet.  Nikki is just too sweet, just like Pierre, but she will make a lot of noise as if she is being tortured if she thinks one of the other hounds is getting in her space.  Only one other time did I have a Vet situation from a fight so far, knock on wood, and please don't let me jinx myself. I think as long as the pups know you are in charge, they will settle down.  Best of luck, and enjoy those babies.  Jackie, Mom slave to a really nice bunch of bassets.