[Dailydrool] Counter surfing..

J gr zoogle24 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 13:11:59 PDT 2008

Hi,
We have a lovely girl named Lucy who is about 10 months old.  We got
her in July when she was about 8 months.  She has a "horrible" habit
of snatching things off the counter.  I bought her an expensive
furinator brush and in the one day we had it she destroyed the handle.
We have tried to push items back so they are not reachable, but behold
the power of a Basset!!  They can stretch to incredible heights!!  She
can apparently reach the middle of the dining room table.  (I leave no
food unattended after a muffin snatching incident!)

She seems to do these naughty things when she is alone.  We keep her
kenneled when we are gone from the house as she is not to be trusted
yet!  She has tons of chew toys and plenty of love.  She definitely is
pretty needy following us room to room.  We just are finishing up some
basic obedience training.

Is this something she will grow out of?  She knows that it's naughty,
we have busted her in the act. Should I just accept that this is part
of life with a Basset?

Thanks,
Jodi