[Dailydrool] Sibling Rivalry

Dustin and Mary Bragg bragg2some at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 1 13:38:30 PDT 2008

About a year and a half ago, my husband and I got a 2 1/2 year old basset from our local basset rescue.  He's a great dog and we have had no major issues with him.  Last month, we got another basset, this time a girl, around a year old.  They get along well.  They wrestle and play together, sleep on the bed together, and even eat next to each other.

However, when it comes to "people food" they "fight."  It had gotten to the point that we were putting them out before we sat down to dinner, but then a few days ago I was in the kitchen preparing dinner and the male dog when ape. I think it is just the male dog trying to show dominance.  He has never hurt the female (who incidentally is literally half his size...he weighs 60 pounds and she weighs 30 pounds), but she isn't backing down.  She growls and barks right back at him.  Then he usually pouces on her barking ferociously,and then I separate them.

They also got in a scuffle a few nights ago when, for whatever reason, he didn't want her on the bed.  So we banished them both from the bedroom.

Several of my friends that think they know everything about dogs say that I shouldn't separate them...that one has to show dominance and that I need to let them do their thing.  I am afraid, however, that someone will get hurt if I let it go too far.

Thanks!

The Braggs