[Dailydrool] scary day and the dad slave

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 06:48:41 PDT 2008

Just catching up on reading drools again and was reading some of the posts
on scary days.  We had one of those ourselves before concerning a basset and
a collar.  Our Miss Maggie has warn a collar with the metal hook thing and
not the plastic ones. The reason being that Maggie could always break out of
a plastic collar and we used to put her on a coated leash when she was
outside and if she broke or backed out of the collar then she was free to
roam. Anyhow, we have a fence now so it doesn't pertain unless we are going
for a walk. Anyhow, we have to license and get a rabies tag for our hounds.
I used to let them wear them, until our one scary day.  I remember hearing a
loud clang noise, dog crying and galloping noises.  I emerged from what ever
room I was in to find that Maggie was attached to the heating floor register
and it was hanging from her neck because it was caught on her tag.  She must
have lowered her head down to sniff by the register and it was caught and
startled her making her run and cry.  From that day on, I have never put the
id, rabies or license tag on them.  I was just glad that I was home and that
Maggie didn't get so stuck that it pulled on her collar and strangled her. I
know everyone would ask what about id for the hounds.  We have ordered from
boomerang tags and we get the id tags that slide onto the collars.  We have
a fenced back yard and never leave the hounds outside where we were not
watching them or were away from the house.  I do recall that Mazzie had lost
her ID tags once during the winter in the backyard, but that was before the
slide on tags.  We should really do microchipping too.

The Dad Slave left NY state today to drive to Mississippi where he will be
in training until Thanksgiving time.  Oliver cried going from the window to
the gate to the upstairs for over an hour. No amount of treats, hugs,
cuddles, or him listening on the phone to his daddy would stop his whining.
He must have associated it with the last time he left to go to Iraq and the
dad slave has been home for only 2 months from there now so maybe.  The
girls (bassets) are looking out the windows off and on too. Cooper is so
young that he has no clue what is going on.

Still cathing up on drools,
Dee, Maggie, Mazzie, Cooper and Oliver